By purchasing local products, you choose to support local Denver distributors, small businesses and quality food. This choice helps local producers to offer more products and supports the community you belong to.
Here are the key reasons to consider shopping local this year:
- Product quality. Especially in the food sector, a local product will be fresher because it has not been subjected to operations like packaging and transport to remote locations.
- Services quality. Local businesses usually hire staff with a higher degree of product knowledge that spends more time understanding the customers. Services are perhaps the first that should be purchased locally. You can communicate directly with local providers, tell them what you like and what you don’t. If you are satisfied, others will find out too. The same goes if you are dissatisfied, so the quality of services is stimulated.
- Price. In the case of two products that have equal production costs, the one that comes from another location will be more expensive, due to the costs involved with transport, packaging, handling and storage.
- Ecological benefits. Any handling of goods involves a consumption of resources (electricity, fuel, water etc.), so the farther a product comes from, the greater the impact on the environment.
- More jobs. Obviously, local businesses hire locals. Economically speaking, job creation is the biggest benefit of a local business, and the taxes return to the local community.